Monday, September 15, 2008

never forget


Once again September 11th has come and gone. Seven years since the horrifying attacks occured. I was not in Manhattan when it happened but a few weeks later I was. I remember getting searched getting on the train down, seeing the military pointing guns in Grand Central Station, the military riding around on Park and 5th avenue patroling. I remembering going down to Ground Zero and seeing the wall of support flyers from so many countries, missing person flyers for so many people....the debris on the streets, the graves blown up out of the cemetary, the subway trains flipped upside down in the subways underneath Canal Street and meeting a man who would drink tea with his wife everyday in the same spot pouring her tea into the ground as she was no longer there to meet him. I did not see protests and selling of memorbilia, I saw fireman and cops who lost friends and family I saw construction being done and people working together. It was a ghost town down there. I will never forget those images or those people that died. In the most defining moment of my generation people came together and since then have been torn apart. There are few flags hoisted now, no more USA chants, no more hello's and concern from or for strangers, no more coming together for causes, no more agreements. We stood with the towers united and fell with them divided. Politics has alot to do with it. The media says remembering this tradgedy every year is depressing and I cannot beleive that 7 years later people have forgotten because of such things as politics and wars. We have not gotten Bin Laden and even when we do it is not over. America lost alot of itself that day and how we have acted since then had not been American. Don't forget those people that died, those that were heroes and those heroes that are fighting for us everyday in Iraq and Afghanistan and everywhere else. We had one attack that day because of the soldiers who protect us, other countries dont have that, and I have the freedom to write this, other countries dont have that, neva forget 9/11 RIP..........

1 comment:

Jessa said...

It is such a change since then. I remember when that happened like it was yesterday. It's amazing how fast this time has flown by. Not only have we forgotten that entire experience, but one thing that really bothers me is the fact that so many of our men and women are out there fighting for us, wanting so badly to come home, and the majority of our people in the US go day by day without a thought towards them. The things some people complain about everyday just blows my mind...and from time to time we all can get a little carried away but I just feel bad that our guys are out there wishing they had these things to complain about. And the people who lost loved ones wishing that they had them around to argue, bicker with and so forth. We all need to remember more often and just try not to forget.

And in regards to your reply to my blog:

okay first of all (ha ha) thank you for the reply on my blog. And I agree with you completely...I have no understanding why certain people are chosen to have it hard right from the start when they didn't even get the chance to mess up. I also don't understand why young people get illness that will kill or accidents happen that have a fatal ending. That all just doesn't make sense to me. So most likely, that will all stay a mystery to me and I think it's completely unfair. And second of all...I was not the one who told Keefer to get the butterfly tatoo...he came up to me and was very excited and I told him he should think about that for a while before he does anything. And he also told me that it wasn't necessarily about the butterfly, it was about the saying. So (hehe) just to clear that up! But thanks again Matty!

~Jess