Thursday, March 4, 2010

Self-Talk


Throughout my life I have had periods of time when I was really down and out, you wouldnt have wanted to know me then, and other times that I felt like a million bucks. The factor that I believe is responsible for those major differences was in some form perspective but also self-talk. Self-talk is something that when I was growing up was something that I thought only crazy people did but as it turns out even childrens books were written about it. In this life we recieve so many messages about life, especially in the crazy technology, media salvating public society we live in today where people have forgotten basic decency and private behavior, anyway most of these messages are false and in some way or another lead to negative self-images which is determined by how you talk to yourself. One of the best things that someone ever taught me was to eliminate the word "can't" from my vocabulary. Other words that arent helpful are things like "always, never, ever"...words that are absolutes just like cant. By eliminating that word I have been able to do alot of things in my life that many people told me I wouldnt be able to do ever. Just like love, people have the ability of inifinite potential but this can only be reached if you yourself believe this about yourself. You my get kicked around and pushed back, stumbling, but it is then how you get back up or if you don't. These all fall under self-talk and how we treat ourselves. Most people dont think about stuff like this and some dont realize that things that look perfect in tv and movies arent real. Everybody struggles and everybody fights with things from time to time, but its how you bounce back, how you feel about yourself, your spirituality, your view of the world, and how bad you want it in life. Eliminating words like "can't" have taught me to be optimistic and more loving to all of those around me. The outcomes are not always perfect but the intention is there if you can see it, people are generally good. Sometimes it takes a sign or sometimes it takes a kick in the ass but when people open their eyes and make those changes in life and start seizing moments that they would have let slip by because they "can't" right now, or they will do it later, there is nothing like it.....that is what I love to see and that is what drives me to work with helping people who have accepted that they "can't" in this life. But what is amazing is that self-talk, just like the little engine that could...."I think I can, I think I can"!!!!!