Friday, January 28, 2011

Time Slips Away




This is a video from the DMB DC show we went to this past summer, "the 107 degree day",beautiful singing by two great musicians.  If you havent seen Zac Brown Band you are missing out.

Recently I reconnected with someone that led to me thinking alot about my past and specifically about the last 10 years since that is when I met them.  Its funny to think but 10 years ago I was 17 going on 18 and in between a very crazy time in my life.  Changes have occured drastically in my life for the past 10 years.  What amazes me is that there are so many little insignifigant moments that stand out to me more than the big moments.  Trips to NYC and the Adirondacks, shoveling snow at POP, nights at the commons, DD's on Western Ave, spare change to Denny's, etc. these little moments were some of the most important times that stood out when I looked back.  These times seem so long ago as time slips away.  Each day that goes by is another that is lived and will become memories of moments and which ones will be important to me when I look back in another several years?  I made some drastic changes in there but it was the little things that mattered most.  People that are in your life for short times to long times can have just as profound impacts, luckily, I have experienced alot of each.  What's unfortunate is that these times dont last forever, as life is very fragile and moves very fast.  10 years ago I was turning 18 and now I am closer to 30 than 20 and either way it's less time on this earth.  What will my impact be? What will live on when I am not here? These are thoughts I have these days as life has moved fast to get here and in no way is it slowing down.  I have found a great deal of meaning in the work that I do and my experiences with the people I love but I want to do more.  I want to help more and change the world in some small way because those small ways are the ones that stand out, the ones that become big.  I was given a huge opportunity to do something with this life and as it has been made aware to me recently, this gift can be taken at any time....so what will you do before it is too late?, before you no longer have the chance?, before time slips away.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully expressed, Matt. Many wait until they are looking back from my perspective, age 65, to understand how valuable time is. Your words prompted me to think about "attentiveness". That is really the bottom line, isn't it. Being attentive to all the good gifts that surround us.