Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Live Set





As long as I have been sober I have been an avid motion picture enthusiast.  In some ways movies have become a similar escape from reality that I did with chemicals and instead of it being every and all day escape with chemicals it is once or twice a week a two hour or three hour escape so just a bit healthier.  I enjoy the stories and the meaning within the meaning that movies depict through the artistry of the actors, directors and crew.  Movies are almost like a waking dream in that they can expand your imagination in an almost uninhibited way which is great because the only true uninhibited state of mind is the dream world.  I enjoy talking about the meaning of the symbols and colors that are used and of course the psychology and spirituality that is involved and I like just going
with the fun of imagination as well.  I am someone who over thinks and analyzed almost everything to death so movies can give me a chance to do both of the imagination and perspective.  I have a good friend who works in film and TV and have learned a lot about all that goes into the behind the scenes sort of stuff and have had a lot of my thoughts about certain areas confirmed as well.  I find talking to him very interesting and exciting because you learn that a lot goes into a two hour piece of moving art.  In my times in NYC I have come across several different actors in real life mostly at Yankees games but in all these years I have never come across a movie being filmed even though several are being filmed in NYC in almost a daily basis.  Then, our last trip to NYC we walked right upon not one but two movie productions.  The first one was for what I thought was the new Batman but was later told but my good friend was a movie called “Arthur” which stars Russell Brand and looks very funny.  There was quite a scene taking place that consisted of almost 6 or 7 blocks being shut down for trailers, lights, cameras, crew members, extras, props, wires, cables, and police.  All of that time and work for all these people which results in probably 5 minute scene in a movie.  The previous day we stumbled across Ben Stiller filming a movie called “Tower Heist” that stars Stiller, Eddie Murphy,
and Dave Chappelle.  We actually walked behind a scene being filmed and were asked to stop then directed elsewhere.  We wondered why then discovered what was going on.  Again they
had blocks closed and many people working just for some scene with Stiller and
someone talking on the street (we might be in the background but with our excited faces I am sure we got dubbed out).  The whole experience is quite impressive that the people who put in these 16 to 18 hour days doing the same thing over and over just to get produce what one artist envisions is intense and complicated and having watched it be done, I have more respect for all the hard work that goes into my 2 hour escape.  We enjoyed “Just Go With It” this past weekend and will be looking for something in the next weekend maybe the Liam Neeson flick, either way whatever your escape is, enjoy it.   

No comments: