Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."

After a busy summer of traveling (home two weekends for the whole summer) we have settled back into the school year and the busy grind of work and career growth.  Maybe it was not traveling for a month or maybe its just the natural progression of things but for the first time in my life it felt like there was a steady routine.  Get up, exercise, work, housework, romance, sports, eat and sleep.  Being in school up until last year, there was never a routine, classes always changed and you could spend your time the way you wanted to but with the "real" world you have set hours which can force a routine.  My wife has one of the tougher jobs that exist (teacher) because the education system is majorly flawed, but that is another story altogether, we have both been in a steady routine and we talked about feeling old.  Now some of you might say ok, whatever, you are 28 and 24, but for us both being done with school and working on our careers, this truely is the first time we have a routine and I dont really like that.  I like being spontaneous, free, and flying by the seat of my pants but this is a part of life and I get why people always said enjoy your time at school, because you are your own boss, you generally set your own hours and what not.  So we decided we needed to do something we dont normally do like go out to concerts on a "school" night, took a little convincing to get the teacher who gets up at 5:30am to stay out past midnight but we did it! One of our favorite bands was playing, The Head and The Heart, a little bit of Seattle in Raleigh and we had a ton of fun.  What I did realize is that I am older than the crowd that was out drinking and dancing on a week night, most of the people out were 18-23 years old in college at one of the numerous schools in the Raleigh Chapel Hill area, part of me felt old and part of me felt young.  It's a weird place to be because life and society want you to do one thing and everything in me as always says fuck the machine and I am going to do what I want to do, however, in many ways I am a working stiff and in many ways I am a teenager living it up.  Staying out past midnight during the week used to be common but somehow that changed and I didnt realize it until I had to think about going out late when before, it was always just get up and go--I dont even have kids and I had to think about it.  Seems like things are slowing down but then again we just spent 10 of 12 weeks traveling and we go to Mexico in a month or so, so who knows, maybe the perspective is just off.  Being practical is good but it is not as much fun and that is part of the balance I am thinking will always be something that is just a bit off for me, as an addict, I always want more, there is never enough and sometimes its nice to get up and go, to stay out late, to act like a 21 year old would, just like its nice to dive into work and work 13 hour days, hold two or more jobs, balance between work in play is the goal.  These words might not make much sense, this was the first time I thought about acting how a "practical adult with a 9 to 5" would think and I dont think I liked it, I am young at heart and I want to always be able to enjoy that, I hope you can too.  Life is too short, have some fun, and like Bob Dylan said "I hope you stay, Forever Young"

No comments: