Thursday, February 25, 2010

Happy Birthday George Harrison


Everybody has their favorite Beatle and it is something to argue about because each is impressive in their own way. Also because the Beatles also did a great about of solo work in different directions the arguement can be a good one. For me it has been and will always be George Harrison who if alive, would be 67 today. I first liked George when I was growing up because all my friends liked Lennon and I didnt want to follow anybody so not knowing anyone whose favorite was George, he would be my favorite. Throughout the years some of my favorite songs have been written by George, including "something", "here comes the sun" and "while my guitar gently weeps". In each of these songs there is a dark and then a very light, hopeful prescence to the music. George was also a part of the greatest supergroup ever the Traveling Wilbury's with Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. There was always something fun and hopeful in his music but an edge of darkness. He lost his wife to Eric Clapton but the two remained very close friends, that has to be some inner battle. One of the other things that I was always interested in besides the mind expanding drugs that he took, was the interest in Hinduism. I think just like mind expanding drugs, expanding your horizons in spirutual ways can be very meaningful to the human experience. It encouraged me to look outside of what is told and taught on a normal basis and to seek things that you hope to exist but may not know if they do, but that hope can be a driving force that leads to peacefullness in your own life. Everybody has their favorite Beatle and George Harrison is mine, so Happy Birthday George!!

No comments: